Marketing a business online can be a daunting process. There is alot much noise about what you need to have, however, there are just five areas you need to focus on.
How To Get Started Marketing A Business Online?
- Set up a Google Business Profile
- Create a website, choose a localised domain and quality hosting
- Start social media pages- Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin
- List the new business in local directories
- Monitoring and Optimizing
Most savvy entrepreneurs are aware of the importance of marketing for their business’ growth. However, many new business owners are unsure of where to start when creating a marketing plan. It is essential to remember that not all strategies are the same.
A good marketing plan should take into account your objectives, the resources you have available, and the strategies that will yield the highest ROI.
Here are five easy steps in detail to start marketing a business online
1. Kickstart Your Local Business Marketing with Google Business Profile
Marketing a business online can be a game-changer when it comes to attracting new customers and increasing visibility. Google Business Profile offers a free and powerful tool to showcase your business in Google search engine results page.
Having an up-to-date and correct profile is essential for increasing your visibility on the internet.
#1 Claiming Your Google Business Profile
- Visit the Google Business Profile website and sign in with your Google account
- Search for your business, or add it if it’s not already listed
- Verify your business ownership through phone, email, or postcard
#2 Completing Your Profile
- Include essential details such as business name, address, phone number, and website
- Select the primary category that best describes your business
- Update your hours of operation, including any holiday or special hours
#3 Enhancing Your Profile
- Add high-quality photos of your business, products, and services
- Write a compelling business description to provide more information about your offerings
- Enable messaging to allow customers to contact you directly through your profile
#4 Utilizing Google Business Profile Features
- Create and share Google Posts to promote events, offers, or updates
- Add special attributes to highlight unique aspects of your business (e.g., wheelchair accessible, free Wi-Fi)
- Monitor and respond to customer reviews to build trust and credibility
#5 Tracking Your Profile Performance
- Use Google Business Profile Insights to analyze your profile’s performance
- Identify trends in customer engagement, such as popular search queries and photo views
- Adjust your marketing strategies based on the insights gathered
Claiming and optimizing your Google Business Profile is the first crucial step in marketing your local business online. By providing accurate, detailed information and engaging with customers through reviews and posts, you can significantly increase your business’s visibility and attract new customers.
2. How to Start a Website for Your Local Business
Having a website for your local business is essential in establishing an online presence and attracting new customers. In this guide, we’ll go through the steps to get started on creating a website for your local business.
#1 Choose a Localised Domain and Hosting
- Choose a domain name that reflects your business name or industry.
- Select a reliable and reputable web hosting provider. eg: Godaddy, TPP Wholesale
- Opt for a hosting plan that fits your business needs and budget.
#2 Design a Visually Appealing Website
- Use a clean and simple design that is easy to navigate. WordPress.org is a great start.
- Incorporate your brand colours and logo, Canva is a cost effective tool for DIY.
- Use high-quality images to showcase your products or services.
#3 Optimize for Mobile Devices and Search Engines
- Ensure your website is mobile-friendly and responsive.
- Use search engine optimization (SEO) techniques to improve your website’s visibility in search engine results.
- Include relevant keywords in your website content and meta descriptions. Using tools for keyword research is a must when creating a website eg: Semrush
#4 Include Essential Business Information
- Include your business name, address, phone number, and email address on your website.
- Add a description of your products or services.
- Display your business hours and location on a map.
#5 Build Trust and Credibility with Customer Reviews
- Display customer reviews and testimonials on your website.
- Encourage customers to leave reviews on your website, Google Business Profile, and other review platforms
Making a website for your business is crucial to make your business known on the web and to bring in new clients. By choosing a localised domain and hosting, designing a visually appealing website, optimizing for mobile devices and search engines, including essential business information, and building trust and credibility with customer reviews, you can create a website that effectively represents your business and drives growth.
3. Harnessing Social Media to Boost Your Local Business
Social media channels have become a normal part of life, providing companies with a great way to promote themselves and keep in contact with their customers. Platforms like Facebook and Instagram offer free and easy ways to market your local business online. Creating a business page on these platforms allows you to share content, photos, and updates with your followers, ultimately attracting new customers. Switching profiles in Facebook to a business will allow you to interact with other businesses and comment as your business increasing brand awareness and reach.
#1 Setting Up Your Social Media Presence
- Choose the right platforms for your target audience
- Create a business page with a compelling profile
- Ensure your branding is consistent across all platforms
#2 Sharing and Scheduling Content
- Develop a content strategy and posting schedule using Meta Business Business
- Utilize engaging visuals and informative posts
- Encourage followers to share and interact with your content
#3 Running Promotions and Contests
- Plan promotions, contests, and special offers to engage followers
- Utilize platform-specific features, such as Instagram Stories or Facebook Events
- Collaborate with local influencers for increased reach
#4 Monitoring and Responding to Feedback
- Regularly engage with your followers through comments and messages
- Address negative feedback professionally and promptly
- Share positive reviews and testimonials to build trust
#5 Tracking and Analyzing Performance
- Use platform insights and analytics to evaluate your social media strategy
- Identify the most effective content and adjust your approach accordingly
- Monitor your competitors to stay ahead of industry trends
Leveraging social media channels like Facebook and Instagram can significantly boost your local business’s online presence. Creating a business page, sharing engaging content, and running promotions can attract new customers and foster loyalty among your existing ones.
4. Boost Your Local Business by Leveraging Online Directories
Local directories can have a significant impact on your business’s online visibility and reputation. By claiming and optimizing your business listings on platforms like Yelp, Hotfrog, Brightlocal, TripAdvisor, and Yellow Pages, you can reach potential customers in your area and build trust through customer reviews. Pinning your business on maps eg: Google Maps and Apple Maps will improve directions to the business and increase the appearance in search.
#1 Claiming Your Business Listings
- Research relevant local directories for your industry
- Create accounts on platforms like Yelp, Hotfrog, Brightlocal, TripAdvisor, and Yellow Pages
- Claim your business listing to gain control over the information displayed
#2 Optimizing Your Online Profiles
- Consistently fill out profiles with the same information as your Google Business Profile and website
- Include accurate contact details, business hours, and a description of your products or services
- Showcase high-quality images to create a visually appealing profile
#3 Ensuring Accuracy and Consistency
- Regularly review and update your directory listings to maintain accurate information
- Consistently format your business name, address, and phone number across all platforms
- Correct any discrepancies to improve local search engine ranking
#4 Encouraging Customer Reviews
- Ask satisfied customers to leave reviews on local directories
- Respond to both positive and negative reviews professionally and promptly
- Share positive reviews on your website and social media profiles
#5 Monitoring and Managing Your Online Reputation
- Regularly check your business listings to track customer feedback and ratings
- Address any negative feedback and resolve customer issues
- Utilize customer reviews to identify areas for improvement and celebrate successes
Local directories play a crucial role in connecting your business with potential customers in your area. By claiming your listings, optimizing your profiles, and encouraging customer reviews, you can improve your visibility and reputation. Regularly monitoring and managing your online presence will ensure continued growth and success for your local business. This process can be labour intensive however, there are tools to assist eg: Semrush has a local directories tool list your business in 36 directories with one connection.
5.The Key to Local Business Success: Monitoring and Optimizing For Marketing A Business Online
To achieve success in marketing your local business online, it’s essential to track your results and continually optimize your strategies. A multi-faceted approach that includes Google Business Profile, website optimization, social media, local directories, advertising, and results tracking will help build a robust online presence and attract more customers.
#1 Monitoring Your Marketing Efforts
- Analyze website traffic using tools like Google Analytics
- Track social media engagement, such as likes, shares, and comments
- Assess the performance of advertising campaigns and local directory listings
#2 Adjusting Your Strategy Based on Results
- Identify successful marketing tactics and allocate resources accordingly
- Address underperforming areas by refining your approach or exploring alternative strategies
- Continuously experiment with new ideas to stay ahead of competitors
#3 Importance of Local SEO
- Invest in local SEO services to improve visibility and promote your business in local search results
- Optimize your website for location-specific keywords and phrases
- Utilize structured data markup to provide search engines with detailed information about your business
#4 Continual Optimization and Content Updates
- Regularly update your website, social media, and directory content to stay relevant
- Monitor industry trends and competitor activities to stay ahead
- Implement new features and technologies as they become available
#5 Building Credibility and Trust through Reviews
- Encourage customers to leave reviews on Google Business Profile, social media, and local directories
- Respond professionally to both positive and negative feedback
- Share positive reviews and testimonials on your website and marketing materials
Marketing a business online requires consistent monitoring and optimization of your marketing efforts.
By analyzing your website traffic, social media engagement, and other metrics, you can identify successful strategies and areas for improvement.
Continuously updating your content, investing in local search engine optimization (SEO), and encouraging customer reviews will help maintain a strong online presence and stay ahead of your competition, ultimately attracting more customers to your local business.
At Webl Domination we are here to support the growth of local businesses online contact us for a marketing quote today.
Top 10 Questions Small Business Owners Ask About Marketing A Business Online:
How important is marketing for a small business?
Marketing is essential for any business, but especially for small businesses. It helps you reach potential customers, build brand awareness, and differentiate yourself from competitors.
What Is Marketing?
Marketing is the process of promoting and selling products or services to customers. It involves researching, creating, and communicating value to your target audience in order to attract and retain customers.
What are the most effective marketing strategies for small businesses?
The most effective marketing strategies for small businesses depend on your specific industry, target audience, and goals. However, some common strategies include social media marketing, email marketing, content marketing, and SEO.
How much should I spend on marketing for my small business?
There is no set rule for how much a small business should spend on marketing. It depends on your budget, goals, and industry.
How do I know if my marketing efforts are working?
You can measure the success of your marketing efforts by tracking metrics such as website traffic, social media engagement, email open rates, and sales. This will help you see what’s working and what’s not, and make adjustments as needed.
Should I hire a marketing agency or do it myself?
This depends on your skills, time, and budget. If you have the skills and time to manage your own marketing, it can be a cost-effective option. However, if you’re not confident in your marketing abilities or if you want to save time, hiring a marketing agency can be a good investment.
What should I include in my marketing plan?
Your marketing plan should include your target audience, goals, budget, marketing strategies, and metrics for tracking success. It should also outline your brand message and positioning.
How can I increase my social media following?
To increase your social media following, you can post engaging content, use relevant hashtags, run social media ads, collaborate with influencers, and engage with your followers by responding to comments and messages.
How can I improve my website’s SEO?
To improve your website’s SEO, you can create high-quality content, optimize your website for keywords, use meta tags and descriptions, improve site speed and user experience, and build backlinks from other reputable websites.
How can I create a strong brand for my business?
To create a strong brand for your business, you can develop a unique brand voice and message, create a visually appealing logo and website, use consistent branding across all channels, and focus on building strong customer relationships.
Marketing A Business Online For Growth And Profit.
The next steps once you have the above five steps in place is to implement website SEO. Businesses without SEO might as well be fully offline as these businesses are preventing themselves from having access to half of all internet users.
Working with an SEO professional will help place your business in front of viewers the right way, the first time, with no work on your part.
Get in touch with us today, and let’s place your business where it deserves to be, on the first page.